Monday, July 2, 2012

Chapter 2 - The Together Teacher

Hello all...sorry it has taken me a day or two to get back on track! Chapter 2 basically tells us that we need to consolidate our multiple calendars and have one comprehensive calendar (which is defined by Maia as a calendar that lays out all of your time commitments and deadlines in one easy-to-read calendar).  Your comprehensive calendar can be electronic (such as ICal), web-based (like Google calendar), or a paper one (of which I have zillions)! She says it is important to take advantage of programs that allow you to have recurring events so you don't have to put in dates over and over. I have found that alerts or reminders can be very beneficial...if you are as scatterbrained as I am! This chapter walks you through 3 different people's choices of calendars. Maia suggests the following criteria for whatever type you chose:
  • Easy and efficient to use
  • Portable enough to be with you at all times
  • Readily available wherever you are (such as accessible from work or home)
  • Visually pleasing to you
Maia suggests that when you determine your favorite type that will work best for you...you should gather all calendars, notes, reminders, etc. and set aside some time to consolidate all of it.  She suggests putting in the "hard deadlines" or things that cannot be adjusted or changed in first. Then move on to the "soft deadlines" which are more like "to-do's" without specific times. She also says you should add time for "not working" or personal time (which is an area that I am sorely lacking!)  Most of this chapter is examples and tips for helping you decide which type (web-based, electronic, or paper) is right for you. I think I have hit the high points. Questions? Comments? I look forward to the next chapter :)

4 comments:

  1. Hey Teri-
    Thanks for dropping by my blog! I am newbie in 5th grade...looping up this fall with last year's 4th graders. I would love to pick your brain for ideas!! I love your blog and especially this book study you are doing. I like what I see so far, so I am going to head over to Amazon and pick up a copy (I am a bit of a book hoarder....I cannot walk into a bookstore with out buying)..I have books everywhere at home and at school--it drives my hubby nuts!! I also joined up with the blog social network you are a member of...trying to get new followers.
    Happy 4th and thanks for stopping by!!
    Patti
    Tales from a 4th (and 5th) Grade Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Teri!! I gave you the One Lovely Blog and The Versatile Blogger awards!! Stop by and check it out!!

    www.fifthgradefancy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Teri-

    I've awarded you with the Liebster Blog award! Check out my blog to get it!

    Patti
    Tales from a 4th (and 5th) Grade Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello. I'm your newest follower. I love your blog, so I nominated you for two awards over at my blog. You can check them out when you get a chance.

    threadgillsteachingtoolbox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete