Sunday, July 15, 2012

"How Do You Grade?" Linky

Hi Ya'll....decided to throw my Southern roots atcha for a minute! LOL I am joining a linky over at Totally Terrific Teaching dealing with grading. Here's my 2 cents worth on grading:

I wish we didn't have to do it! A good teacher knows a child's ability and potential in a very short amount of time spent with that child.  Having said that....it is a reality in our world. I follow the school/county guidelines but with a twist. On major assignments or tests of any kind...I allow students to come in (after class) and re-take a test that they are not happy with the grade. I then average the two grades together to get a final grade and replace the original grade with this one.  For example...if a student made a 50 on a reading test and wanted to come in the same week after school and retake this test, I would allow them to do so. If that student then made a 100 on the same test...I would average the two grades leaving the student with a 75 as a final grade.  I feel like this is fair. Everyone has an "öff"day once in a while. I believe in second chances! If they feel strongly enough about it to come back to me (at my convenience after school) then they deserve another shot! Students who don't care will not take the time or effort to re-take the test. This method also discourages students from slacking and then thinking they can just re-take it after having some extra time to study for full credit. They know the grade will not be replaced...but averaged! I would love to know everyone else's methods/thoughts/opinions. :)

 
Come join us!


8 comments:

  1. I will allow students to correct their assignments, earning half credit for the corrections. Also, if it is a failing grade, they can bring it back signed the next day and earn a few points "extra credit." I feel that if they are brave enough to show their parents (without me having to talk to their parents about the grade) then they deserve a little something in return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea, Meghan! I am sure parents appreciate it! And students too!

      Delete
  2. Great post! Do you give them the same exact test, or a comparable one? I do something similar, but I give them a slightly different test.

    Thanks for joining my linky party.
    Joell
    <a href="http://totally-terrific-teaching.blogspot.com>Totally Terrific Teaching</a>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joell...Thanks and thanks for the great idea linky! To answer your question...honestly...it depends. I try to have different versions of all my tests...but you know how time consuming that can be! If I have a different version with the same material, I will give them that one. Even if the questions are in a different order...it gives the illusion to them that it's different! Teachers are tricky, huh? LOL Thanks for your comments!

      Delete
  3. I think it is a good idea to allow them to take the test again. I have done this in 1st grade also. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome! Thanks for commenting! Teri

      Delete