Sunday, July 29, 2012

My "Prize" Box :)

O.k....I have been secretly working on a project for some time now! A couple of my besties are aware...but no more than that. This project has been top-secret for one major reason:  I am dipping my toe into the crafty pool! I do not normally consider myself very crafty, but I have been testing my oh-so-new skills. I absolutely LOVE crafty things. One of my biggest inspirations has been my friend and colleague, Kerri, from Ms. Kerri's and her Krazy Klass. She is VERY crafty. She has motivated me to at least try.  I decided to try my hand at making a new "prize box" for my classroom. I love to give out prizes! I have tried all kinds of containers and was not satisfied. Kerri pointed me in the direction of a plastic treasure chest-type bin in the home decor section of Wal-Mart.  They had 2 colors: blue and red.  I decided on the blue (not really sure why because I was going to cover it totally anyway!) This is what it looked like when I bought it:


I began this project with the thought of turning this box into a true treasure chest. I went immediately to the local craft store and the scrapbook superstore to look for paper and do-dads to make my new blue box into a gorgeous treasure chest. Well....that didn't happen! I couldn't find anything! Plan B...I began looking around and decided to go another route. I found some stickers, paper, and paint to turn my box into a steam chest that had the look of one that had been well-traveled. Here are a few things I picked up for it:
After covering the chest with brown tissue paper (which actually really worked out well...ended up really adding to the leather look)...and covering it with about a gallon (not really) of Mod Podge...I was able to paint the nobby things to look like brass buttons and the straps to look like leather carry straps. I added the state and country stickers and another coat of Mod Podge.  I am pleased with the way it turned out! I would love to hear what you think of it! Remember....I am a newbie crafter...Be nice :)

My New Prize Box