Friday, July 27, 2012

"Preparing for School" Linky Party


Join me at 6th Grade All-Stars for this GREAT linky!

1. Post about this linky party on your blog
2. Follow my blog (5th Grade Tomfoolery)
3. Answer the following 5 questions (include documents if you have them):
- What grade do you teach?
- What is the greatest advice you received during your 1st year of teaching?
- Do you have a checklist that you follow when preparing your classroom (include the checklist)?
- What are some must haves in your classroom that you cannot live without (ex. items, books, posters, management strategies)?
- What is something that all teachers should have in their classroom?

Don't forget to add your link and put your answers in a comment!! :)
MY ANSWERS:
  1. I teach 5th grade (this is my 3rd year, before that I taught 6th, 7th, and 8th - Literature)
  2. I didn't receive too much advice....kinda felt like a fish out of water! That is one reason I love blogging sooooo much! It is such a sharing/caring opportunity!
  3. I do have a checklist I follow....I add to it every year as I see things I can improve for the next. I will add it as soon as I convert it to PDF....check back with me later!
  4. Must-haves....lots of extra supplies....soooo many kids come unprepared! I have had them show up with no pencil! What are they expecting???? Jumping Jacks all day????  Also, lots of coffee and anxiety meds! Most of all....a sense of humor and love in your heart! You may be the only hug they get!!!
  5. The feeling that their classroom is a safe and secure environment! Make it so that they feel like they can be open, honest, and free to make mistakes and learn from them!
I can't wait to read everyone else's (more intelligent) answers :)


3 comments:

  1. Thank you for joining my linky party!! We definitely do need to keep in touch! I am so overwhelmed getting ready for my first year! I don't know where to start! ahh!

    Mrs. Crouse @ {6th} Grade All-Stars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel that way every year! LOL I have already started having the dreaded "school dreams"!! We will definitely have to keep in touch!!

      Delete
  2. LOL @ how they never have supplies! When I did my student teaching, we were three weeks into school and students still didn't have things they needed. I definitely want to be able to help students with that by at least having a classroom set! Thank you for your advice, as I am a new teacher also.

    2befaithful.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete