Thursday, September 13, 2012

Wow! It's been a while :) AKA Shamless Plug

First...I am very sorry! It has been FOREVER since I have posted! I hope that one or two of you are still with me! I am sure we are all in the same boat, so I will not bore you with how busy I have been :) It has been a crazy time, though! We have added a large deck onto our house, had some interior home repairs, and school starting all in one huge swoop! I am not sure we have had time to come up for air! Let me also say....I LOVE my new 5th graders! They are awesome (even the stinkers). I have a clearly divided class. I have about 5 students who are higher than any 5th graders I have ever taught...and then I have students about as low as I have ever taught. I can see that this year will really be a challenge! I hope I am up to it! It excites me to think about such a challenge! I would appreciate any and all comments/suggestions that you guys have! I have also been making myself crazy with Pinterest projects! I see sooooo many things I want to do/make/cook/post/try... I have really got to limit myself! But this stuff is sooooo cool! I have done a couple of things that I have pictures of (posted below). I also wanted to give you guys a look at my new deck. I am really excited about that as well! It has opened up a whole new world to our home! Please keep in touch and keep me motivated! Thank you all!

I found this awesome use for paint chips on Pinterest. I used it to keep usernames and passwords for my students' programs. We grab these on the way to the computer lab and hang them beside the computer (on a plastic hook) when we are in the room (in case of brain freeze :)...

This is the small side of our new deck! It's rough and unfinished but we love it! This is the small side (about 6 x 24)...if you round the corner, it goes around a dogwood tree and then expands to 24 x 24! We opted for 4 feet wide stairs on both ends (I would highly recommend!!) BTW....we've only lived here 12 years without anything on the back or side of the house!

Thanks for letting me boast :)



7 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new deck! I would love to see the other side of it if you get a chance. We built one on our house a few years ago, and now we're thinking about screening it in. I recommend using a water seal in a few months after the wood dries. Olympic is a good brand, and I love the cedar stain. BTW, I teach 5th grade too, and I'm on TPT as thebonuspointband. Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ash...thanks for dropping by! I can't wait to visit your blog too! We plan on sealing it in the spring! Time got away from us! LOL We fifth grade teachers need to stick together and share ideas! Keep in touch!!!

      Delete
  2. Your deck looks pretty great from this side! I’d love to see the other side as well. I think the fact that you built the deck around the tree would make for a lot of fun. Climbing up that tree would be a lot easier too, since you’d be coming from the deck, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet compliment! The deck is coming along! We have to wait until spring to finish it....we ran into some gutter issues and had to totally re-do our back gutters! They are awesome now (and gutter guarded!) but it took much needed time and resources! I am anxious to have the whole project finished! :)

      Delete
  3. You definitely have good reason to boast! That deck looks pretty good from where we’re standing. Is that the natural color of the wood or is that stained? I think painting and/or staining your deck would be a great idea because not only would it add color, it would also prevent water and fungus from getting into the wood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barrett! It is natural right now...we are going to have to wait until spring to finish it. We wanted to get it done before cold weather...but like some things tend to do...it got put on a back burner! Thanks for the comments! Don't be a stranger!

      Delete
  4. Thank you soooo much! I have taken a break from blogging due to the school year starting back but I am back in the game now! Please keep in touch! Again, thank you!

    ReplyDelete